Helena—The first public polling on the race for Montana’s At-Large Congressional District was released today and it’s bad news for multimillionaire Congressman Greg Gianforte: he is currently six points behind his opponent Kathleen Williams only a year after being sworn into office.
These numbers aren’t surprising to anyone remotely familiar with Gianforte’s record of putting Washington special interests before Montana families. During his short time in Congress, Gianforte has:
- Introduced legislation to remove protections from almost 700,000 acres of Montana’s pristine public lands, a proposal that is opposed by 57% percent of Montanans. Gianforte has not held any public hearings to hear from local stakeholders on this legislation.
- Voted to gut the Antiquities Act, endangering Montana’s Upper Missouri Breaks National Monument.
- Supported the Graham-Cassidy health care proposal, which would raise health care costs, endanger the solvency of Montana’s rural hospitals, and jeopardize protections for Montanans with pre-existing conditions.
- Voted to continue a government shutdown rather than support funding for more than 40 of Montana’s community health centers, our nation’s military, and a four year extension of the Children’s Health Insurance Program.
- Refused to hold any in-person town halls to hear directly from Montanans about the issues that matter most to them.
Today’s poll shows that no matter how many times Gianforte repeats that he’s a voice for Montana in Washington, nothing could be further from the truth. And besides, if he is willing to lie to the police, why should Montanans trust a word he says about public lands, health care, or anything else?
The truth is, they can’t and they don’t.
Share this Post