FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, October 5, 2020
In the first debate of the most competitive governor’s race in the nation, Gianforte was uncomfortable and off-balance as Mike Cooney put on a “clinic” repeatedly cutting through his attempts to lie to Montanans about his abysmal record. Not used to being faced with the facts, Greg Gianforte stumbled and gaffed his way through the hour, exposing himself to Montanans, yet again, as an out-of-touch New Jersey millionaire attempting to buy his next public office.
Over the course of the hour, Greg Gianforte:
- Failed to articulate how he will “protect Medicaid expansion” while he supports dismantling the Affordable Care Act, which allows Medicaid expansion to exist.
- Refused to apologize for lying to the police in his attempts to cover up his assault on a journalist.
- Doubled down on his outrageous attendance record in Congress, where he has missed more votes than 93% of his colleagues.
- Lied about his long support for a statewide sales tax. Mike Cooney reminded Montanans that Greg Gianforte thinks “the fairest tax is the one you pay and I don’t.”
- Talked in circles trying to spin his anti-public education record, then got dizzy and was forced to ask the moderator to “please repeat the question.”
- Reminded Montanans multiple times that he sued Montana to block public stream access.
“This weekend, Mike Cooney exposed Greg Gianforte as the out-of-touch New Jersey millionaire he is,” said MDP Deputy Communications Director Matt Fidel. “The choice for Montanans is clear. In 29 days, they’re going to elect Mike Cooney as their next Governor.”
Share this Post