Helena – The tax law that all four GOP Senate candidates in Montana support will increase the cost of health care, according to President Trump’s former secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services, Tom Price. Today, Price said Americans will deal with higher prices since the tax law repealed the current health care system’s individual mandate.
This comes on the heels of remarks from Sen. Marco Rubio yesterday that the tax law benefits big corporations over “the American worker” and that there is “no evidence whatsoever” that the tax law has benefited American workers.
So why are the GOP Senate candidates continuing to stand by this disastrous law that will mean higher health care costs for Montana workers?
ICYMI: Washington Post: Trump’s former health secretary: Americans will pay more because GOP weakened Obamacare
By Jeff Stein
May 1, 2018
- “Tom Price, Trump’s first secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services, said people buying insurance on government-run marketplaces will face higher prices because the tax law repealed the Affordable Care Act’s individual mandate.”
- “‘There are many, and I’m one of them, who believes that that actually will harm the pool in the exchange market, because you’ll likely have individuals who are younger and healthier not participating in that market, and consequently, that drives up the cost for other folks within that market,’ Price said at the World Health Care Conference in Washington.”
- “Price’s comments are in line with predictions from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, which in November projected 13 million fewer Americans would have health insurance by 2027 due to the elimination of the individual mandate.”
- “The CBO also said average premiums in the exchanges would increase by about 10 percent in most years over the next decade, compared with a scenario in which the mandate had been left in place.”
- “Price’s comments follow a recent criticism of the tax law from Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), who told the Economist he was unconvinced the law’s corporate cuts would significantly raise wages for American workers.”
Read the entire article HERE.
Share this Post