FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, August 21, 2020
Steve Daines “became one of America’s most effective and bipartisan senators.”
FACT CHECK: During his time in the Senate, Daines has voted in line with Mitch McConnell and party leadership nearly 95% of the time, including voting for a tax bill that disproportionately benefited the wealthy and big corporations, including himself, exploded the deficit, and provided massive windfalls to big corporations that they then used for billions of dollars in stock buybacks.
Steve Daines “protected the parks and public lands we grew up hunting and backpacking on.”
FACT CHECK: Daines is not the public lands champion he says he is. During his time in Congress, Daines has voted against permanently reauthorizing the Land and Water Conservation Fund, to pull back millions from the program, and for what sportsmen and conservationists called the “first step” toward federal land transfer. Daines also:
- Spearheaded an effort to strip protections from hundreds of thousands of acres of public lands, which critics said would have constituted the “single biggest rollback of protected public lands in Montana history”
- Was criticized for “hold[ing] up” a bipartisan win for Montana’s public lands by refusing to co-sponsor the Yellowstone Gateway Protection Act for more than a year and a half despite overwhelming public approval.
- Supports “sworn enemy to public lands” William Perry Pendley to head up the Bureau of Land Management.
Steve Daines is “standing up for veterans.”
FACT CHECK: Daines has a habit of making promises to Montana’s veterans, while betraying them back in Washington D.C. Daines has voted repeatedly to repeal, gut and defund the Affordable Care Act, which if successful, would deliver a massive blow to the many Big Sky Country veterans who rely on accessing essential care through Medicaid. Medicaid expansion provides a crucial lifeline for veterans and bolsters Community Health Centers across Montana, which help provide mental health and substance abuse treatment services, and where in 2018 more than 5,000 veterans sought care. Daines has also:
- Voted against a measure to provide funding for the VA to hire more health care professionals – funded by an increased tax on millionaires.
- Voted against funding for the Southwest Veterans Home, only to take credit for the center and post photos of himself attending the groundbreaking on social media.
Steve Daines protecting “our way of life?” Hardly.
Share this Post