FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, October 29, 2020
Both Daines and Cruz are bankrolled by arch-enemies of public lands – the billionaire Wilks Brothers who are notorious for opposing public access in Montana – pocketing huge sums from them during their respective political careers.
Daines stumping alongside anti-public lands zealot Ted Cruz is the latest in Daines’ long history of playing politics with Montana’s public lands:
- Touted the Great American Outdoors Act in a transparent election-year attempt to “greenwash” his public lands record.
- Spearheaded an effort to strip protections from hundreds of thousands of acres of public lands, which critics said would have constituted the “single biggest rollback of protected public lands in Montana history.”
- Supported “sworn enemy to public lands” William Perry Pendley for months as he led the Bureau of Land Management, only recently backtracking once he realized it put his reelection in a “tough spot.”
- Released a shameless ad touting his support for the Yellowstone Gateway Protection Act, a common-sense proposal championed by Senator Jon Tester with overwhelming public support, despite slow-walking this key legislation for more than a year and a half.
- Refused to support the Blackfoot Clearwater Protection Act, a bill that would add almost 80,000 acres to public lands in Montana, despite broad public support among Montanans.
Don’t just take our word for it, Montana’s own public lands champions have deemed Daines “the ultimate public lands cynic.” It’s clear Daines only fights for himself and his corporate special interest donors – not the Montana way of life.
Share this Post