Montana Democratic Party (MDP) – Communications Director
The Montana Democratic Party seeks a highly skilled Communications Director to assist in all
aspects of communications strategy, messaging, rapid response, and digital operations for the
2019 primary season and 2020 election cycle.
The Communications Director will be responsible for creating, implementing, and overseeing
external and internal communications for the Montana Democratic Party (MDP). The
Communications Director will report to the Executive Director and will work closely with staff,
elected officials, candidates, partner organizations and other stakeholders. This position is
full-time, based in Helena and will require some travel.
Required Skills, Abilities, and Experience:
● Minimum of three years of experience in political communications and campaigns;
● On-the-record experience;
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
● Experience developing strong working relationships with statewide and national media;
● Strong organizational and planning skills;
● Self-starter with the ability to show strong organizational and planning skills while
working long hours in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment;
● Experience creating and executing communications strategies via digital and social
Duties and Responsibilities:
● Manage all MDP communication requests, rapid response communication, and digital
media content, including: press releases, op-eds, public statements, media advisories,
● Assist in planning and implementing communications strategies to support campaigns by
producing fact sheets, talking points, op-eds, and other materials as needed;
● Develop campaign media strategies for legislative and statewide candidates;
● Write and edit content for direct mail, website, and social media;
● Develop and maintain strong working relationships with statewide and national media;
● Assist on other communications projects as needed, including media training of
surrogates, staff, and candidates;
● Track news developments and proactively look for opportunities to promote Montana
● Flexibility to work long and irregular hours, including weekends and evenings, with some
travel as needed.
Please email [email protected] a resume, cover letter, and three writing
samples, as well as any relevant on-the-record clips to Monica Lindeen, MDP Executive
Director, with the subject line MDP Communications Director. No calls please.
2019 Blue Bench Project Field Organizer Job Announcement
Get Dems elected to local office and help build the Montana Democratic Party
The Blue Bench Project (BBP), a program of the Montana Democratic Party that works to elect Democrats and Progressives to local office, is announcing that the application process for its 2019 Field Organizer position is now open.
The Montana Democratic Party is accepting professional applications for this part-time position. Field Organizers are the face of the Democratic Party in their communities and are responsible for building the local infrastructure that will persuade and mobilize voters to turn out victories in November, while also growing our party for the future. Field Organizers will be based in Billings. This position lasts through Election Day.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and three references to Nick Lockridge, Blue Bench Project Director, at [email protected]. Applications will be accepted until positions are filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
POSITION TITLE: Blue Bench Field Organizer
REPORTING TO: Blue Bench Project Director
LOCATION: Billings, MT
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Accepting applications on a rolling basis.
STARTING DATE: Mid September
COMPENSATION: Competitive entry-level salary, health insurance paid by employer.
The Blue Bench Field Organizer duties include:
Recruiting, training, and managing volunteers
Planning and executing regular voter contact and volunteer recruitment events
Developing relationships with political stakeholders, allied organizations and emerging interest groups, and local Democratic committees from the area
Cultivating those relationships with local leaders and providing them with ongoing training and party-building exercises
Assist in community-based candidate mapping and recruitment projects
Meeting strict weekly voter contact goals on doors and phones for specific candidates
Meeting reporting and data entry deadlines
Assist with campaign management
Other duties as assigned
Blue Bench Field Organizers must be self-motivated and outgoing, with strong verbal and written skills. They must be able to keep composure in an often-stressful environment, possess the ability to juggle multiple priorities and projects at the same time, and meet deadlines under pressure. They must have a desire to learn on the job and meet any challenge with a positive attitude and with the ability to hold yourself and others accountable for reaching goals.
Applicants must have reliable transportation and a current driver’s license. Access to a laptop and cell phone is preferred.
Applicants must be strong Democrats, excited to work long hours – including nights and weekends – in a fast-paced environment and willing to help Democrats and progressives win.
The Montana Democrats are always looking to hear from talented people who are ready to work hard to further our shared values. Individual openings will be posted here on an ongoing basis. Please call us at 406-442-9520 or email [email protected] if you are interested in working with us.